- Hall, S. J. and Moats, L. C., Straight talk about reading: How parents can make a difference during the early years.
- Shaywitz, S. E., Overcoming dyslexia: A new and complete science-based program for reading problems at any level.
- Fristad, M. A. and Goldberg Arnold, J. S., Raising a moody child: How to cope with depression and bipolar disorder.
- The bipolar child: The definitive and reassuring guide to childhood’s most misunderstood disorder.
- Chansky, T. E., Freeing your child from anxiety: Powerful, practical solutions to overcome your child’s fears, worries, and phobias.
- Helping your anxious child: A step-by-step guide for parents.
- Wilens, T. E., Straight talk about psychiatric medications for kids.
- Clark, L. and Robb, J., Help for parents.
- Parenting the strong willed child: The clinically proven five-week program for parents of two- to six-year-olds.
- Raising an emotionally intelligent child.
- Greene, R. W., The explosive child: A new approach for understanding and parenting easily frustrated, chronically inflexible children.
- Janney, R. and Snell, M. E., Modifying schoolwork: Teacher’s guide to inclusive practices.
Autism Spectrum Disorders
The Organization for Autism Research has very good downloadable pdfs here (www.researchautism.org/resources/reading):
- A Parent’s Guide to Autism Research
- An Educator’s Guide to Autism
- An Educator’s Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome
- A Guide for Transition to Adulthood
Children with Autism
- Attwood, T., Asperger’s syndrome: A guide for parents and professionals.
- Steps to independence: A skills training guide for parents and teachers.
- Unwritten rules of social relationships.
- Relationship development intervention with young children: Social and emotional development activities for Asperger’s syndrome, autism, PDD and NLD.
- A parent’s guide to autism: Answers to the most common questions.
- Visual strategies for improving communication.
- Behavioral intervention for young children with autism.
- Autism: Understanding the disorder.
- Education children with autism.
- The world of the autistic child.
- Teaching playskills to children with autistic spectrum disorder.
- A mind apart.
Children and Adolescents with High-Functioning Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome
- Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., and Sparrow, S. S., Asperger syndrome.
- Look me in the eye: My life with Asperger’s.
- Willey, L. H., Pretending to be normal: Living with Asperger’s syndrome.
- Our journey through high functioning autism and Asperger’s syndrome.
- Higher functioning adolescents and young adults with autism: A teacher’s guide.
- Children with autism and Asperger’s syndrome: A guide for practitioners and carers.
- A parent’s guide to Asperger syndrome and high-functioning autism.
- Asperger syndrome and adolescence: practical solutions for school success.
- Asperger syndrome and difficult moments.
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, www.aacap.org
- American Academy of Pediatrics, www.aap.org
- American Psychological Association, www.apa.org
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, www.asha.org
- Association for Psychological Science, www.psychologicalscience.org
- Society for Research in Child Development, www.srcd.org
Nonprofits for Specific Disorders
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, www.aaidd.org
- Association for Science in Autism Treatment, www.asatonline.org
- Autism Speaks, www.autismspeaks.org
- Children and Adults with ADHD, www.chadd.org
- International Dyslexia Association, www.interdys.org
Empirical Evaluation of Treatments
- The Cochrane Collaboration, www.cochrane.org
- Quackwatch, www.quackwatch.com
- TRIP Database for Evidence Based Medicine, www.tripdatabase.com